By Amy O’Neill, MS, LPCDownload PDF of Article
When something challenges you at the core what you learn is that you can’t just bounce back…
- Be Open and Adaptable to a new way of going through adversity
- Be Flexible in your thinking! Flexible thinkers move through adversity with more ease
- Connect, Connect, Connect – Breaking your silence with others that have been through a similar challenge is very healing
- The Language of survival is universal so you are not alone! When you connect with others that understand the journey you will find understanding with the group members
- It is NOT a weakness to ask for HELP!
- Mindset matters! The way you think about things directly impacts how you feel – use neutral language. Leave “why me” behind it will never help you
- Adversity is normal. It is just hard sometimes.
- Adopt the mindset that you are going through something, not getting over something. You brain doesn’t allow you to just forget about things that need to be acknowledged.
- Sometimes we will have to TRANSFORM as a result of our trauma.
- Believe that you are capable of going through something unimaginable and that you will make it to the other side